How do you even write the first entry for a blog?
Goals? Mission statement? Two truths and a lie?
I originally wanted to start a blog because a bunch of adults* asked me “so, do you a have a blog?” this summer when I talked about possible future career goals and my experience with dysautonomia/POTS. (*I know that I’m “technically” an adult, but these were real adults, with their own health insurance plans, 401Ks and wills.) The idea resonated with me and I couldn’t shake it.
As far as other goals, they’re pretty standard (and yes, why not share my hopes and dreams with you?)—
- to reaffirm a million times to anyone with dysautonomia that their experiences are real and valid
- to give people without dysautonomia a glimpse into what life is like when their autonomic nervous systems goes haywire
- to give me yet another place to work out some of my feelings because writing is a good time
- to be another voice to raise awareness about dysautonomia
- to share as many cool water bottles, salt shakers, pill containers, and any other cool dysautonomia gear items as I can find
And one day, if I’m lucky, maybe I can make this as powerful and glamorous as Stephen Colbert’s lifestyle brand, Covetton House.
So let’s get vulnerable! Let’s share stories! Let’s barrel through the stigma, head first, even though it’s scary. Let’s have as much fun as possible. And thanks but no thanks, dysautonomia.
Oh, and most importantly!
Happy Dysautonomia Awareness Month!